PAGADIAN CITY—fourteen participating schools in Region IX bore witness to Western Mindanao State University’s victory in the recently concluded 3rd Annual Congress of the Council of Tourism and Hospitality Educators of Zamboanga Peninsula (CTHEZP) on August 2-3, 2013. Nineteen students from the College of Home Economics’ (CHE) Hotel and Restaurant Management (HRM) Department battled against seven other higher education institutions in a showcase of skills in 10 different categories.
With the theme “Facing Global Challenges, Grasping Wider Opportunities and Sustainability—Winning in the Hospitality Industry,” the congress served as more than just a competitive arena but an educational avenue for the timely dissemination of the industry’s trends, updates, and innovation. The first day saw the general assembly of all the participants at the Liga City Convention Hall for the opening ceremony. In the afternoon, the student participants engaged in team building activities while the accompanying officials and coaches attended a series of talks delivered by distinguished and notable professionals of the field. A cocktail party at the Diocese Pastoral Center culminated the day’s events.
The morning of August 3 brought all the participants together at Zamboanga del Sur Maritime Institute of Technology’s CIHM campus to witness eight competing schools best one another in 10 skills competitions. Of the different categories, WMSU garnered three gold, two silver, and two bronze medals, and eventually added the championship trophy to top off the array of awards that symbolized the unmatched skill and competence that the crimson-blooded students displayed.
The awarding ceremony took place in the afternoon of the same day. Though it was the first time for the College of Home Economics to join a competition such as this, it affirmed the competitive quality of education that Western Mindanao State University provides by bagging the title as the OVERALL CHAMPION.
Detailed below are the 10 skills competitions with the corresponding WMSU contenders and coaches and respective awards achieved:
• MARKET BASKET – 1st Place – Mary Hyacinth Christy N. Noble, Matthew E. Tam – Ms. Maria Victoria C. Bell
• SYNCHRONIZED FLARING – 1st Place – Ezzer John Tenorio, Michell Mae H. Desiderio, Patrice Nicole J. Rance, Allen Ness C. Bughao, Romeo Jonathan M. Enriquez, Genesis J. Arao – Ms. Cyra Tartini Ann S. Sabturani
• NAPKIN FOLDING – 1st Place – Jerrymil D. Escala – Mr. Peter B. Lee
• BARTENDING – 2nd Place – Genesis J. Arao – Ms. Cyra Tartini Ann S. Sabturani
• TABLE SETTING – 2nd Place – Maricris P. Cruz, Ryan L. Arguelles – Ms. Mariter A. Villardo
• FRUIT AND VEGETABLE CARVING – 3rd Place – Zherandie Jhay M. Taupan, Ellyn Shayne R. Lim – Mr. Ermin Ray L. Saavedra
• CAKE DECORATING – 3rd Place – Erwin Cabanag, Aries Manuel – Mr. Ermin Ray L. Saavedra
• BED SETTING – Daisy Mae D. Reamico – Mr. Peter B. Lee
• FLOWER ARRANGEMENT – Jeramie L. Noval – Mr. Ermin Ray L. Saavedra
• TABLE SKIRTING – Ana Marie Macaso, Christi Diane L. Dayag – Ms. Mariter A. Villardo
Prof. Lucia M. Santos, CHE Dean, expressed her overwhelming pride over the plentiful harvest of the students’, teachers’, and officials’ combined efforts. “As everyone can see, we have not much to boast in terms of sophisticated and top-of-the line facilities and equipment. But whatever limited resources we have, we take absolute care of and maximize them to provide the best that we can for our students.” She even has this to add: “Because of the affirmation that winning the CTHEZP 3rd Annual Congress gave to the quality of education we render, we are excited to have our students experience competing in national and international events in the near future.”
On August 6, Prof. Santos with the entire WMSU delegation that took part in the Annual Congress paid a courtesy visit to the Office of the President to personally inform Dr. Milabel E. Ho of the honor they brought home with them. Dr. Ho had this to say about their achievement: “Kung nag-overall champion kayo, dapat lang! WMSU is not second to anybody. Take pride!” She went on to commend Prof. Santos for her hard work and congratulate all those who attended for showcasing the true WMSU spirit of determination and excellence.
(S.R.I. Vargas, WMSU PRESS RELEASE)